Thursday, February 18, 2010

More Notes + Queries: Q Research_Comm Site

QUALITATIVE RESEARCH: A PERSONAL SKILLS APPROACH by Gary D. Shank
Pearson 2006

..."Quali researchis as the systematic empirical inquiry into meaning. Interpretation is the part where we continue to examine meaning that we feel we already have, while we think of about other meanings we might seek. Interpretation is not the whole of qualitative research, but there can be no qualitative research without it."(78)

"Interpretation always involves taking some form of chance, and taking the risk that your interpretation might not be accurate or even correct. You do not guard against these circumstances by making timid descriptions. Instead you make sure your interpretations are upfront as possible. If your interpretation ends up being incorrect, it is best for it to be correct in a public correctable way." (79)

Now here's comes my fave line:

"IT IS BETTER TO BE CLEAR AND WRONG THAN MUDDLED AND CORRECT."


Now I understand why I insist on this paper...here goes my explanation.

Well, I know for one that the this virtual community site meant a lot to me as PC.
I can really see its potential at both personal and UPOU work level. So I'm really hooked with the idea of it. Now is just that me or what? Is that meaning valid only to me? I 'sense' that it is perhaps for other users...but I only sense this so I'd like to see clearly how others see the site.

It's a constant question--that if perhaps if it means a lot to a few who discovered it, maybe we can make it meaningful to others in the future. So in what way was the site packaged enough for others to sustain engagements in it? what else can we do so others can find meaning in it?

The thing is, I'm the one convinced but why? And howcome I sense that site moderator thinks about the virtual community differently? Maybe he did have other purposes for it or his perspective is entirely different being the creator of the site and someone being used to forums in other contexts.

And so this personal pursuit of mine...if current active members surface these meanings, perhaps we can find something in common. Finding that may lead us to ways we can decide how to take it forward and see if indeed it is worth sustaining.

OR at least it can even mean another thing altogether--that maybe, it isn't that meaningful to others. And so if not, the sooner we know this, then the sooner we can find out why it isn't worth sustaining---then at least I know clearly why I am incorrect--in my face. That I can take and move on.

In the end, I would not see it as a waste of time--it's good while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment