Tuesday, February 21, 2017

What UP Education Means to Me version 2.017

And so finally those who can make it to the Batch 87 get together made it. I went out of my way to kinda organize it -- tipong when to 2 or 3 are gathered in the name of the Lord kinda thing but obviously, it was in the name of UP Sigma Delta Phi...and let's not forget the UP which goes with our sorority name.

Perhaps it was that common initiation experience held at the grounds of the University of the Philippines which brought us  females together which I may say is part and parcel of the UP brand of education--learning outside the classroom. Like somekind of hidden curriculum, UP education offers that kind of learning for life, never the textbook kind and quite organic cuz the learning sprouts on the path you yourself choose or happen to be in as you literally cut class to explore all types of student orgs, all types of minds (the weirdest kind the better).

It was definitely like that for all of us at Sigma Delta Phi, and even just being with Batch '87 has made my UP life more memorable and colorful.  For how many times did we make that choice to be together-- from our initiation rights and joyrides,  to THAT trip to Baguio, all sorts of fundraisers, and of course, Mammanu Adarna. We spent precious time beyond our acads to be together to work for a common goal, or even just to have the last laugh or the latest chismis or finish that last smoke or drink that last drop of beer.

That was of course 30 years back.  Now at 48, Ive started to rethink my current bonds. I mean, what keeps me tied down in the Philippines despite all odds? And what keeps other fellow UP folks here...or should others decide it best to take flight or migrate, what memories of UP do they hold dear?

Then I ask, what better memories can I create from here until I reach my deathbed? Yeah, living life earns me the right to look forward to death...and it gives me reason to rethink the remaining life Id like to lead.  So yes, Id like to see more of my ka-batches. And this time, take sweeter time to be with them.

So here we are as Batch 87 at Mary Grace, just a few of us. This time, we finally got to talk about where that UP education brought us to where we are and how having that UP brand of education really meant to us. Buzz word - flexiblilty and risk taking. And with Sigma Delta Phi -- that meant having the heart to dare the inconvenient, the uncomfortable and the impossible. I was trying to envision my ka batch Armie in Sudan, Congo, Uganda, Rwanda while I had my share of India.

But then daring the impossible need not be out there but even  closer to home as Liezl recounted her explorations with aquaponics and organic farming,  homeschooling and school searching, while Cujo has gotten back once again to UP, this time as a Phd student.

And same goes for me. Yes, I've decided to give this thesis another shot. The topic is very timely anyway. Only this time, things simply fell in place-- no hassles at all: USQ found my qualifications sufficient, my research adviser invited me for a Skype and pretty much convinced that my research ideas are worth pursuing, my study grant was approved, loans approved so I can rightfully accept the offer...study grant contract and funds to follow.

Finally, this is what UP education means to me now version 2017. UP education to me now means finding time to appreciate where Im at so far and still carrying on with the work ahead --- but this time, pushing the boundaries of what academic excellence is all about. So what is THIS  A-EXCELLENCE all about?

These days, it only means Im not getting any younger and therefore I choose not to settle for anything less. Anything less means 'pwede na' mode. I can just safely supervise a program, teach as usual, do consultancy as usual, learn from peers, as usual. I mean that can be, right? Or so...so...

But when I got back to UPOU, I was confronted with a simple problem or  gap. Just when I thought I could settle, came something unsettling. You come in contact with students in need of research mentoring or a bit of inspiration to carry on just as well because they need their education badly.  So I asked myself, what else can I do? Should I dare again? What if things do not go well...? etcetera etcetera etcetera.  I simply said to myself time to set new goals or should I say, find other reasons to motivate myself to carry on.  Id really like to learn how to mentor fellow teachers to do research and/ or special projects they themselves can be proud of.

So the only way to do this is to do it myself first. And I look forward to the day when I will know I have done it and I can say, if a mediocre UP student such as I did it, so can you-- so can the teacher in you....so can the U.P. in you.

There's is U.P. in all of us, Batch '87...and other students of UP's only Open University. Looking forward to more times together, through thick and thin, till death do us part.

Keep living and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment