Saturday, July 23, 2011

Feedback from the Research and Publications Committee re WizIQ paper

I had to simply check on my thoughts and feelings (which I sometimes find hard to separate). I received feedback re my research proposal, which goes this way:

1) How are you going to identify the exemplary teachers? Define “exemplary”.

2) There are too many research designs: case study, content analysis, conversation analysis. The one year alloted time for the research grant may not be enough to cover all. Hence, just concentrate on one research design. For example, a case study of a UPOU teacher, then analyze.

3) Suggested Title: Teaching Presence at WizIQ: A Case Study of UPOU Teachers

Item # 1) I find as an acceptable feedback. But to #2 and #3, I intend to respond:

2) on having "too many research designs"
I did specify only 1 research design which is: case study. Content analysis and conversation analysis on the other hand are not my research design, but methods of gathering and analyzing data. As follows are reasons for the choice of methods:

a) The WizIQ platform uses multimodal features and therefore generate types of data which can be examined through content analysis. Data to be analyzed made available through the lecture/powerpoint material in the class which the teacher uses.

b) Conversation analysis is a method to analyze data made available through the conversations recorded in the chatbox among students and teachers, as well as communications produced by teachers and learners as recorded in audio and video. This specifically answers the second research question which focuses on: 2) How is teaching presence constructed in synchronous live classes?


3) on changing my research to the panel's suggested title:
In my proposal, I stated this: “.... this study opens an opportunity for teacher educators from higher education to engage prospective learners in studies of this nature to include the viewing of recorded virtual live classes as a means to develop technique, strategy and reflection in online teaching via synchronous learning environments. Hence this study hopes to inform the practice of effective teaching and preparation of pre-service teachers who may get into online teaching in current and future alternative learning systems.”

The choices of research I do (and have done in the past) has to be primarily meaningful to myself and my practice. As teacher educator, I would like to learn from expert teachers at WizIQ so that I can effectively run live synchronous classes with my student teachers at EDUC 280 and future BES students, thereby modelling ways of online teaching and facilitation for AES and IDT majors. At the same time, I will be able to curate the recorded classes at WizIQ which I can use as resources for “online class observations”. Findings from this study therefore aim to inform teacher education.

Hence the researcher sees the need to focus on exemplary teachers who have been using the synchronous platform for a good number of years, with public classes made available for research. The current UPOU faculty member who have classes, and usage data available at WizIQ is I. Other faculty members, on the other hand, who have used the platform are Prof AL Francis Librero and Prof Roberto Figueroa, registered WizIQ teachers with no recorded classes, nor visible student following and student feedback/ recommendations in their public profiles. And since the nature of my study focuses on exemplary teachers, doing one based on your suggestion completely changes the purposes of my investigation. In addition, since my choice of field is in the area of language teaching/ education, these fellow faculty members are not my best sources of data as they teach courses which are not related to education. However, in the future, I do plan to do an autoethnography of my journey as teacher educator/lifelong learner at WizIQ later on—a case study of myself as novice teacher evolving into an expert one in synchronous live classes or even blended learning environments. Other future ideas include co writing to look into exemplary teachers, effective teaching and comparative studies looking into other subject areas such as Science, Geography and Math to inform prospective practitioners of Virtual Hish Schools in the Philippines.


I know, I take things to heart. My impulsive reactions shall die down in the end. It's just that I have managed to do my prior research/publications on my own, without even applying for the Research Grant. I decided to try because: 1) I wanted funds to cover for WizIQ membership while doing the study and while using this for my classes, which supposedly a university like mine should cover, 2) I wanted to get additional funds for MACbook or any reliable laptop so I can have a decent and durable laptop which I need for me to be able to do my work at my unive, again, an equipment which my unive should provide in the first place,(again for teaching&research) or 3) use the funds for future WizIQ user conference/ research dissemination which I hope to attend in order to learn and network with fellow educators without having to necessarily present(for my learning to become better at teaching).

Now Aleta, perhaps be rational about this. Simply take the emotion away, and think in the shoes of your panel screening your research for a prospective grant from the University. As your Dean have implied, "What has UPOU have to gain from your research?" I need to surface that.

Reasoning with myself:
UPOU's major investment are its teachers. Any form of research in pursuit of knowledge for knowledge's sake will funnel into the teaching practice at the classroom level. That I sooo know. But the panel may be using a different thinking hat so get over this and revise your proposal as this is the only way for your brains to move on and get the work done!!! Slay that Dragon in your brain!!!

Google Plus remember this girl:
You are here to test yourself more than anything: To what extent can you sustain your attention to this research alongside other things you need to do in your life? If you hurdle this, chances are, you will pursue your Phd. If not, carve a different path.

No comments:

Post a Comment