Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thoughts on WizIQ

After reasoning with myself and making minor changes to my research proposal for this study on Teaching Presence at WizIQ, I finally find myself enjoying the videos of 3 teachers at WizIQ, namely Nellie, Namrata and George. I am simply amazed with what I witnessed in their classes. What I see are three teachers, with different teaching styles in running their classes but all with a common goal-- they are bent to help their students learn English. In each class you get to immerse in a learning culture unique in itself... like watching 3 TV shows with 3 different plots and cast of characters, and the sound of world Englishes as learners find ways to communicate and understand each other. I have the benefit of learning crossculturally from all these online interactions in the virtual classroom. This is just speaking about 3 classes I've seen so far and imagine all other classes which have been going on right inside WizIQ!!! It finally dawned on me what WizIQ meant with its tagline: "anyone can teach, anyone can learn". What surfaces on my screen however, is more to the advantage of the adult learner. It is precisely because in a learning community such as WizIQ a learner gets to choose from a wide array of classes and teaching styles which will work for them--depending on what they need, who they want to be with and when, and most importantly, what suits them best. It's a diverse learning experience at this online learning platform compared to what is possibly happening in other higher education institutions where adult learners have not much choice when it comes to their teachers and their classmates, in return for a piece of paper they call a diploma. At WizIQ teachers and learners from all continents, willingly come together because they want to experience teaching and learning in a way which fits them...pure and simple as that. The platform lends itself naturally to individualized and collaborative learning, in a small class or a bigger one, and participation in a conference is still made possible. Who would have known that education can be this way for most of us who choose to learn online.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled to hear about your interest in WizIQ and your ongoing research. My name is Chris Dawson and I'm the VP of Marketing and Business Development for the company. I also write about education for ZDNet and spent quite a few years in both academia and the US public schools, looking for ways to improve the state of the art in teaching (primarily face to face, but also online and in blended environments). It's actually the reason that I joined WizIQ, because I genuinely believe the potential is there for the platform to significantly shift the focus and success of education.

    I'm glad that you've connected with George, Nellie, and Namrata - they all have a great deal to offer with, as you pointed out, completely different approaches.

    And while your observations of the utility of WizIQ for adult education are entirely correct, know that use cases in university and K12 settings (both in the classroom/lecture hall and online) are emerging quickly. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or I can be of any assistance with your research.

    Best Regards,
    Chris Dawson
    Chris (at) wiziq dot com

    ReplyDelete