Thursday, October 4, 2012

111 out of 172



The collegian article may have been right in using the phrase "no proper consultation". Well, the online survey was the most proper one I could think of, with a combination of F2F assemblies and sincere exchanges with students during Lantern Parade workshops.

Though the numbers can speak for themselves...I find these reasons (excerpted from the survey) worth mentioning:

44 yr old student - In trimestral calendar, you can opt to load lesser units (to fit in your other priorities i.e. work, etc.)but at the same time you can finish the courses you programmed for the whole academic year. Let say for example, if you wish to complete 18 units courses for a year, instead of taking 9 units/sem, you can complete the entire load in a minimum of 2 courses/trimester equivalent to 6 units. By this lesser load, you can be more focused in your studies.
young mother -- It would be easier for me to manage my time, since I am also a mom. Plus, I have attention-deficit disorder and I lose interest easily.
female, married, working student --
It is ideal for me cause i can finish my studies earlier and continue on to another course or to a degree.
student transferee from another university--
The work load we get is not that much so we can ideally finish it in 3 months. I came from DLSU-Manila and they are tri-sem it makes studying more time efficient. 5 months for 1 semester is too long.
male, married, working student aged 20-30--
This would utilize the time more effectively, and since distance learning is different from residential learning, the trimestral academic calendar is suited for a busy distance learner.
off shore student--
Well yes, i'm a continuing student & working abroad. It will be an advantage for me if I will finish the program ASAP. Most specially, i'm planning to pursue further studies and eventually get a diploma.
female working--
I'll be able to spread the desired courses that I would like to take throughout the whole academic year without feeling overloaded by the units per semester and it may speed up graduating early.
above 40 years of age--
i am semi-retired and have all the time to study
transferee from another UP Campus
yes it may apply given that we have timely breaks. the issue i have here is that courses will be studied in a shorter timeframe and may prove to be difficult for both the FICs and students. also, this may affect other people who has planned tuition budgets per semester and may have problems paying tuition fees thrice rather than twice. one resolution though is to strictly enforce the rules of overloading. after all, with this system, the students have the option of distributing the load within three sems. it has it's advantages and disadvantages, but it just depends on how this will be implemented and how the students will be affected depending on their individual situations.

----------------------------------------------------

I posted these here because I do not owe Isa, Lou+company, nor Collegian an explanation. I owe this to myself and students above (a few ones who have graduated and moved on...after yeeearrrs of studying) It is to them that current AA students should be thankful.  The needed program improvements, long overdue,  are now applied to the new batch. If only some may care to see it this way....

The survey involved many other questions which I just typed away cuz I just wanted to know who the hell my online students are! No manipulation was needed because my Google BF did all the stats and received all the info.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment