Sunday, April 20, 2014

N=1

Every year, there seems to be a casualty or 2 when it comes to finalizing the list of graduating students. As AA PC, I do take this 'casualty' seriously because at times, the casualty is caused by some weird 'technical' rule. It is fine if the rule makes sense, because some really do. In the context of an OU, a rule taken from a residential campus with a bureaucratic system do not always make sense.
And the sad part is when an individual (such as I) are expected to  assert it because it goes with the job, only to realize it is not right at all. And what I hate is when we simply accept the rule as it is because that's what it means to live with a system we cannot do without.

So I was there in our Unive council meeting, trying to find ways to tell myself that 'it does not really matter' or 'leave it and move on' or 'shut up, girl, do not even make a fool of yourself'' or 'tumahimik ka na, tapusin nalang ang meeting, pwede ba?'. But I could not, obviously. I spoke too soon and what I wanted to say did not come out in the manner that it should have. Or perhaps something came out and was put on record, but who keeps track of such things anyway.

I really find it difficult to put in words justification for certain decisions which to me are but right= tama lang. In other words, I do not have the technical know how nor logical reasoning to explain my stand which is basically value based and comes from a disposition which goes this way:  'What have we got to lose to make 1 learner (and his/her family proud and happy)? And more because we are duty bound to set things right for this student because we ought to.'  We owe her this for one mistake we did.

Compared to prior casualties which caused me sleepless nights, this case seemed easy to take for I wasn't the one earning the grade.  I wasn't the one who made the actual  mistake and I was not the one dealing directly with the student nor the parents.

N=1 after all.

That one person matters because the value of 1 represents a few more others who could have graduated Term 3 and joined the May graduation ceremony only if we bothered to  define Term 3 as end of schoolyear and NOT equivalent to a summer residential term, or if we moved meetings 1 week later.

No regrets in making a fool of myself--I am quite consistent to who I am since I started working. It has caused me jobs (3 in all), but it has helped me stand up for  what I value (such I owe to my mom, Julieta and the Juniora in me is kinda hard to tame). The risks I took then was all worth it.

This one year break from UPOU makes more sense, I realized.
I just am not sure whether this break is just a break or will eventually mean to 'break free.'

What has kept me all this years and what will keep me going anyways?
This job has  allowed me to learn a lot, to prove to myself that I can do things out of sheer commitment, hard work and a chance to still raise my kids educationally. In return for my ATM, is the opportunity to do public service to a range of students who are multitaskers.  These are what kept me going, then.

I need more reasons to go on if UPOU is the job I'd like to grow old with.
And if I decide to leave, I am just N=1 anyways. I do not even know what that means, after all.





No comments:

Post a Comment