Wednesday, February 12, 2020

PhD v.2.0 extended play version: Clear and present intentions


To be consistent with the extended play versions of Taylor Swift and Lorde running through my eardrums every time I write, here goes a version for my extended study to continue with reading, thinking and writing. I just surrendered to the fact that Feb 27, 2020 was an impossibility, though on record I have written the required THIS and THAT :) Yups, did it. And just said what will be will be.

The extension was much needed, upon realizing the full extent of what 'dissertation writing' means. Credits to my adviser.  I think, in the end, it could be most beneficial to lessen my stress and misery with a very tight deadline. In that state, that would mean me committing more mistakes. Though in the past, I really do work well by cramming. But then, this IS thesis of the examinable kind, a thorough one at that. We are after academic excellence and excellence has never been my goal. My prior writings were always for the sheer joy of sandplay.  I was after experimenting with types of qualitative writing I intuitively chanced upon then just got lucky.

Getting giddy awaiting approval of funding for my extended study. Without the funds, I'll cry an ocean, swipe my card then sell my car which by the way I lent to my mom and dad. So maybe, I could mortgage our property or pawn 2 rings. Hmmm, woman, have a little more faith in the Lord.

For this extended study, I am going partly for an on-campus stint.  Best to do some self-checks of my intentions so putting these here:

Academic
> get those revisions done
> work closely with a proofreader
> protected time to work on a paper for HERDSA or maybe a PGECR sympo or AAOU2020 at Sri Lanka
> quality time to join RWriting League f2f and tame my distractions
> immerse in a session with the CoP Research Supervising Team
> chance to visit THAT school recommended by Debbie and Catherine
> participate in a workshop by Ally

Social-personal
> take part in meetings/ workshops to practice my active listening skills without getting distracted by accents and high vocabs
> a chance to be with fellow women whom I wish to support and engage with (Nicky, Catherine, Lolita, Eva)
> a slight chance to visit Kat
> have Ice cream with Xin Yan & Gu
> get to see more of the best side of my Associate Supervisor LG
> fix those hardbound thesis manuscripts on a decent shelf in THAT part of the library
> take those picshots
> give my thank you gifts to my mentors

Wellbeing
> that goes without even saying

There you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment