Monday, February 3, 2020

PhD v.2.0: Feels like Postpartum

Why do I feel like this thing called PhD is an American, white man's journey, with APA the 6th as the ultimate Uncle Sam = U.S. domination/ oppression of the research kind.

There's a blog out there on 'common mistakes students have'. So if it's 'common mistakes', then PhD is not for the 'commoner-mistaker'. Or if the mistakes have been there for the length of time to be common enough, have they ever tried a one-time common solution to the problem by making APA friendlier to commoners. For example, why have a normal font for the Table label and an italicized Table caption vs an italicized Figure label and normal font for the Figure caption. I don't get that!

Or why the fuss of whether the period comes first before the closing quotation mark or after if it ends in a sentence. Why even compare the American way vs the British way in a blog just to prove that APA is the American way we must all abide with. Why is there no Australian way to question the fellow-white way of doing this and make referencing and formatting be chiller than usual, as Australians are the chillest bunch?

Ahhh, I forget, my PhD is in the English-IELTS language so I just need to follow the inventors of English. And btw, there are different kinds of Englishes, too. So my spell check goes behaviour vs behavior, analyze vs analyse. How lovely! And such well spent time to do all those vs fixing my cabinet that's falling apart, or buying the right set of curtains to protect me and my asthmatic-rhinitic family from the ash or other particles coming through the window.

Before this turning-into-a-cynic mode, was the cycle of pain which has now turned to what I perfectly label as Postpartum. I was literally a b**** from January 13-25 and at home who gave birth to all my reworked but still messy chapters and not wanting to be with others nor wanting to go around. I've ignored messages from my mom and dad amidst all the cleaning up. I was saving my last week of January to fulfill a promise to be at Collaboratiore 2020. I tried to regulate the angst by joining the Research Writing League and setting consultation time with HDR-LA so I can sense that I am actually getting things done because I AM getting things done.

While getting things done, I got irritated with the sound of the ff:
- Java's nails scratching the floor while he moves to and fro
- Vic's slippers and the pots and pans when I'm finally in that zone of formatting
- the neighbor's dog barking
- the ongoing pinging sound of the neighbor's phone and Mauro's phone - they are obviously chatting

If there was a pencil to table tapping student around, I'd literally yell cuz I am not a nice K-12 teacher these days. I've been pregnant with this research project for 2.8 years. That's like being constipated for that long and now finally everything's out and I don't feel like looking beautiful all of a sudden. May I just be all sorts of emoticons :), and a cartwheeling one soon, I hope.

And so I drown with Lorde. She's my great company these days. Some day, I will raise my glass and will not get done saying this: You Transformatives, along with my top-fave colleagues snapped me out of my post-partum, like YEAH! Surf we shall, Collaboratoire 2021/2.

And yeah, I have to hand it out to the coolest Englishwoman I've met, who by the way started surfing at the age of 50. It makes APA the 6th feel like a breeze.

Ahaaaay. This is me saying, that my Postpartum was best spent at home, in the Philippines, with my full grown mammals understanding me. And that Collaboratoire 2020 was reward worth claiming (having skipped 2 major holiday get togethers).

While the Transformatives will be making their research proposals happen, I'll be breastfeeding my chapters. My adviser says it's still going to be months of fixing and fixing.  In the meantime..."when people are talking...people are talking....get still":

Happy birthday Java, Happy birthday Teacher Vic, Happy birthday fool's draft!

No comments:

Post a Comment