Monday, December 21, 2009

Why It Could Not Work...but What Can

I got an EXT for my quali research course at UPOU.
I take responsibility for that entirely.
This is a chance for me to reflect why so.
I mean I do love studying now in grad school--it was never like that in my undergrad years.
My fave course is EDUC 390 Independent Study. Took it twice cuz it allowed me to meaningfully work on papers I WANT to do and not because of some kind of course fulfillment to comply with.
The idea here is for us students to work on our current research interests--work on these alongside listening to other's work on theirs so you get this feeling that all of you are in the same boat and you have people to bounce ideas with. I was just lucky enough to be with classmates who came from different fields--a doctor of medicine, an expert in the field of hospitality management, a school director, a Dean from another tertiary level institution, another Dean from U.P. But we have a common interest--research and curriculum.

And so we did work on our papers, organized a forum to present these. I was fortunate to have my papers presented in another forum and published later on.

I had these prior experiences to back me up.
Then here goes my course at UPOU.
What a downer...a downer cuz I was excited and enthusiastic only to find myself doubting myself whether in fact I got what it takes to understand research-- qualitative research at that.

My course tasked us students to come up with a research project in the end.

So here I am again, grappling through all the terms--confusing myself as usual.
I managed to lurk for days at different times throughout the course.
I didn't read through most of my classmates posts so as not to get more confused.
I got fixated with books on quali research and I am still in a state of disequilibrium.
I know what quali research is--its purposes.
I learned about paradigms.
I have done a case study.
I am confused about--design vs methodology vs forms of research.
How is a research project diff from a research proposal?
Howcome I've done 3 papers without going through a proposal?
Where is narrative in the scheme of things?
I need a concept map--and a clear one to classify these once and for all.

I am interested in virtual hs only to find out I have topics closer to home I would like to write about. I should settle this once and for all.

I will rule out virtual HS--it may be interesting but not immediate.
I will do virtual communities--it is interesting, new, immediate and practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment