Monday, December 28, 2009

Why Write when I can Co-write

The initial idea of this study I must say was a product of serendipity.
I think I started seriously thinking about writing something related to distance ed sometime September when Pat Arinto, a co-fac at FEd, emailed me about a possible paper presentation for the DE Colloq series. She asked my however for something related to the SS program. I wasn't ready to do that as it didn't fit the goals of the colloq series and primarily the SS program. The greater need then was to fix the SS program. What was immediate to my thoughts then was something about the comm site. However, I felt that if there was one person who can rightfully write a paper about the Comm Site, it was not I but another co-fac, Al Librero of FICS.

But of course, being an active member at the site, I also had ideas brewing in my brain and it was more because I wanted to share to my co facs how the site has helped me as PC to figure out ways to improve the AA program. What held me back was the thought that perhaps my views were highly subjective as admittedly I am one of the most active members hence from the very start my purposes for engagement were clear then a few goals evolved while I was in the thick of interacting with students. I ask myself...Are my views valid enough? Do other students see the site in the same way I do? Does the site moderator share the same views? Am I the only one making this kind of meaning regarding the Comm Site?

And so I let it rest...only to find out, it did not deserve to rest.
Primo asked for an article for Chancy's mag-type year end publication.
This paper idea popped once again. The good thing about it is Primo, a research guru like Mam Jean, was most encouraging. I also emailed Mam Jean to consider this paper idea to be part of my completion of EDRE 206. She said yes. Now the last layer of approval is a potential co-writer, the veteran site moderator ( as he himself coined this term to refer to himself).

But then why co-write? I just felt that the best person to introduce and narrate the development of the site is the author himself. I am but a humble user who is indebted to the author. In the same way that if students do agree to jump with me on this, then they themselves are the best people to share their narratives.

What was a bit surprising is this: in the whole time (let's say a year) that the comm site was evolving into what it is now, it never crossed my mind that the site moderator/author himself had his own concerns/ pursuits. Only because I dared to ask and solicit his support that the idea of this became clearer and perhaps was meant to be. Librero, surprisingly, was curious over student use of moodle, vs community site, vs. much more and how students are connected. Therefore I realized that my initial ideas in this paper could be part of a possible and even bigger research pursuit he was aiming for.

Hmmm....the things one can chance upon over online exchanges! Aha!

The idea of co writing isn't new to me. I've done this once and almost 2x with Ani Almario. For me, it was a good way of validating classroom practices and ideas. I managed to do the review of lit on my own and I had my own paper. She had her own working outline of a paper. We met and merged our ideas...and there you go. But Ani and I had prior working relations, with a strong F2F foundation.

While I have not worked directly with Al, there lies a question as to whether this co writing will in fact work. I am not sure about how he works but I simply have to trust him that when he says yes, he means yes. I simply have to adjust to his work style.

Now if this doesn't work out, then it doesn't...such as it is.
But, it should be worth a try as long as I know my limitations and I am aware that I am determined to write this paper. And well, the abstract acceptance is one indicator that this paper is in fact worth our time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment