Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ano ba talaga, iha?!

Kaya mo bang panindigan ang isang Autoethnographic Study? Ano ba yun?

Student Support or Spoonfeeding? A Program Chair's Self AnalysisAre my thoughts and actions genuinely addressing student needs, or spoonfeeding? Are my actions part of my job as program chair or not? This autoethnographic research is an attempt to analyze and examine my actions as program chair of the Associate in Arts Degree of the University of the Philippines Open University. In my first year as a fulltime faculty member of pioneer distance institution in the Philippines, I was given the task to manage an undergraduate program. Three years after, I see the need to reflect on my actions in fulfillment of my responsibilities. Through a careful analysis of student queries and corresponding email responses, narratives, exchanges over a virtual community, blogs, letters to staff and direct supervisors as well as year end portfolio, I hope to critically examine the meanings I attach to my job in lieu of student support , describe the nature of student support I am providing and if in fact these actions are facilitative of student support delivery or merely spoonfeeding to the detriment of undergraduate students. This qualitative study constitutes my ongoing explorations to carry out my responsibilities as program chair and reflect on my existing practices under an academic organization which has yet to develop a better means to measure fulfillment of our responsibilities in the area of program monitoring and improvement which includes establishing work systems to address student academic needs and concerns. This research hopes to contribute to the university's ongoing initiatives to explore better measures of work assessment of program chairs alongside efficient and improved delivery of student support services.

No comments:

Post a Comment