Saturday, January 2, 2010

Of Significance

I remember responding to Al in one community site thread re Beyond the Lantern Parade. I also remember asking him about types or forms of social networking sites.
I just had this idea that maybe there is way to support the UPOU community site depending on what stage of development it is in.


It was a concern because for obvious reasons, I was an active user of the comm site and I was wondering how the site's usage can be sustained and maximized by both faculty members and students. So, let's say it is in an exploratory stage, what can a few users do to make it work.


For example, in community organizing or even when one looks at child development, one is aware that there are such things a stages or phases of development. A child is at a certain developmental stage and given that, a child would need this kind of support or intervention. A community would have a core group and at what depending at what stage the group is in, the organizer would provide some kind of consciousness raising or group mobilization depending on the group's level of participation. So maybe I was thinking perhaps, if we know at what stage the community site is in, we know that this is the level of facilitation it needs for it to thrive.

At least now I know, it isn't social networking sites perse which I was concerned about. The correct label would be 'virtual communities', 'online communities', 'communities in cyberspace' or 'computer mediated communities'.

And so, at a curiosity level, this paper is of significance to me. So far, my readings point to the fact that there are levels of community in virtual communities. There are indicators of a 'sense of community'. These concepts are mostly applied to 'virtual learning communities' not particularly to a community site outside the domain of a specified virtual learning community.

At a program chair level, this paper is of significance as I would like to find out in what ways have I communicated or connected effectively with students through this site and maybe in what ways have I excluded/ limited myself from connecting with other students because of this site. I think though, it has benefited me in a way but has it benefited my students?

At the level of my own research pursuits, this paper is of significance because it is a step away from my comfort zone. My previous research has always been within the practice of basic education using a case study design. It will be the first time for me to explore other methodologoies--such as the use of narrative inquiry. First time for me to do research with knowledge of a research paradigm, a knowledge of a theoretical frame to analyze data.

At the level of faculty relations, this paper is of significance because it will be the first time for me to co write with a UPOU colleague. I have yet to figure out if we are working on this from the same level, though I am aware that I've set minimum expectations or bare essentials as indicators that this co writing is indeed working.

Now, as to what this paper can contribute to existing theory...hmmm, I have no idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment