Friday, August 26, 2011

More Quests re Quali Research

I can't help but stop and think or maybe this just me delaying my work. I am starting to think about possible themes for my research on Teaching Presence and I'm asking myself again and throwing it all here. As an observer of recorded live classes, I am taking down notes from my own perspective. I question what makes my observations valid? If another person observes the same set of recorded classes, will he or she be able to come up with similar notes? Or let's say I have a younger-novice teacher version of myself, would I be able to see what I'm seeing now as an older, more experienced teacher? Should I be even asking these questions...

Aside from that, I'm also thinking of a way to write and present findings re the exemplary teachers. Does it have to go by themes right away? Or can it be done this way---I discuss my findings per teacher + set of classes(not by themes yet) then in the end recommend a set of themes through which Teaching Presence can be observed and examined in live synchronous classes...thereby contributing to the body of knowledge of how research into effective online teaching can be conducted.

Now, to delay more work which needs to be done (=clean my work cubicle, file-file-more filing), I am now back to reading where I left off in Merriam's 2009 Book "Qualitative Research: A Guide to Design and Implementation", Chapter 8: Quali Data Analysis and Chapter 9: Dealing With Validity, Reliability and Ethics.

1 comment:

  1. Sumagot si Mentor Primo=Future Research Sage in the Making=F-Sage:

    aLeTa: As an observer of recorded live classes, I am taking down notes from my own perspective. I question what makes my observations valid? If another person observes the same set of recorded classes, will he or she be able to come up with similar notes? Or let's say I have a younger-novice teacher version of myself, would I be able to see what I'm seeing now as an older, more experienced teacher? Should I be even asking these questions...

    F-Sage:This is where your epistemological assumptions about research come in. What is the nature of research to you? Is it to reveal some 'objective' truth out there or to understand a reality? It's right to ask these questions and surface your assumptions at this point. As a qualitative researcher, you are expected to be upfront about your assumptions when you present the results of your study.

    aLeTa: Aside from that, I'm also thinking of a way to write and present findings re the exemplary teachers. Does it have to go by themes right away? Or can it be done this way---I discuss my findings per teacher + set of classes(not by themes yet) then in the end recommend a set of themes through which Teaching Presence can be observed and examined in live synchronous classes...thereby contributing to the body of knowledge of how research into effective online teaching can be conducted.

    F-Sage: What do you consider to be the "findings" of the study? This should be consistent with your epistemological assumption about the nature of research. Are you presenting a set of objective description of the phenomenon or an interpretation of the phenomenon from certain perspective? Your answer to this should shape the way you present your research 'results'. Notice how qualitative research findings are normally presented.

    Hope these help in your 'pagmumuni'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete