Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Morrrre Hworrrrk Ahead

I've definitely snapped out of Kesha and Iglesias, now into Duncan Sheik. The music allows me to do some mech stuff of cutting and pasting  chat transcripts and audio transcripts of recordings  from Nellie's classes at WizIQ....cutting and pasting into a table. The next step is to align chat with audio transcript to show a text version of the sequence of interaction.  Then there's the need to highlight segments to match with the first level of  handwritten notes. This is like the second level of coding I need to do though I've already started to see themes I will be discussing in my findings.

This is kinda nitty gritty but a step beyond what I did with my study on Virtual Communities 2 years ago.
I would like to believe that I'm not rushing into things nor doing more hits and misses. In fact, my observations are now shifting.  With the first set of recordings (Mar to Apr 2011), my focus was on the facilitation/direct instruction/design, aspects of TP as defined by Garrison et al 2001 in their COI framework.  Now, I'm looking into the interactions, ex learner responses which fuels the teaching process. These are interactions which go on, even without the teacher explicity directing nor facilitating, even learner responses which allow the teacher to respond on the dot---the spontaneity of discussion happening which show how TP can be dynamic and interactive in a synch class vs a non synch class.  I'm starting to think if this interactivity is similar to an F2F kind of interactivity.  Is there interactivity innate to an online synch class vs an F2F version? Meaning if Nellie were to tackle same content with same type of students, will the interaction take place differently and therefore the TP happen differently as well? I find it a weird question to ask, lol.

Lately, my questions about the Quali-R  process are popping here and there...quite different from prior questions I've raised. Like should I have observed the earlier recorded classes first (last year)?  Will my observations differ if  let's say I joined the live class vs relied on the recorded  version? 

And a major question goes this way:  is teaching presence online teaching perse?  Who dictates the parameters of online teaching vs teaching presence if in the context of the paper, I am not merely relying on the TP from the COI perspective. Is my study then more about online teaching OR teaching presence? Isn't online teaching=teaching presence in synch classes?

I hope this confusing doesn't mess things up for me. It has to be a disciplined confusion=the act of knowing one is confused but accepting this as part of the process of research; a conscious effort to be aware of one's confusions so that one becomes conscious of these being resolved later on. And that this is NOT about confusing one's self for the sake of getting confused. Darn....

No comments:

Post a Comment